Burned home after fire the parts of the house after burnning

A fire claim during a home renovation project caused by improperly discarded rags soaked in a combustible liquid occurs more frequently than you might think. Deck stains, oil-based paints, paint thinner, kerosene, and varnishes are all common combustibles. Rags are used to apply these finishes, clean application brushes, and wipe up spills. As these soaked rags dry, their vapors may cause a chemical reaction in heated rooms or warm outdoor spaces without a spark to start a fire in a matter of hours. 

Approximately 2,000 home fires are started by spontaneous combustion or a chemical reaction each year. Approximately half of these fires are started when oily rags catch fire.

Deck renovations, for example, are a leading cause of spontaneous combustion fires. Renovations such as floor sanding and polishing are done indoors with rags that quickly become saturated with combustible liquids. Even a garage could be a potential hazard. This is because owners will store flammable materials next to their parked cars when preparing for a home renovation. A potential fire is caused by vapors and heat, as well as improperly stored combustibles. 

Trusted Public Adjusters want you to know that these construction site hazards, as well as a subsequent fire insurance claim, can be completely avoided with a little foresight and caution. Here are a few pointers to help you avoid this potential hazard:

  1. Distribute a number of portable fire extinguishers throughout your project’s worksite. In the event of a fire, workers can quickly extinguish the flames before they cause significant damage to your home and/or property.
  2. Do not turn off your fire alarm system. By day, cover your smoke detectors with easily removable tops to protect them from dust from sanding, wallboard, and other construction activities. Remove the covers at night to keep yourself and your family safe.
  3. Insist on a no-smoking policy on the jobsite. After all, the goal here is to avoid having to file a fire insurance claim, not to file one!
  4. Speak with your contractor about how they handle the disposal of rags and solvents at the end of each workday. If combustible materials must be stored on the property, insist on the unit being located far away from your home, landscaping, or any other structures on the property.

Trusted Public Adjusters desires that your newly renovated home exceeds your expectations and is not damaged by a potential fire. Our team of experts can assist you in reviewing your insurance policy and ensure you are properly covered in the event of a claim. Contact our professional public adjusters at (305) 702-0014 or via email at Help@PayMyClaim.Info to learn more about how we can help you in the event of a claim.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.